Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Max's First Eye/Ear Infection...

So, when I woke up to feed Max yesterday morning around 6:30, I noticed in the glint of light from the TV that he had something on his right eye... I wiped it and realized that it was really crusty. I got a warm washcloth and wiped it off before feeding him.

I debated with myself all morning with regards as to what I should do. He's also had some red bumps around his right eye for about a week. I checked to see if he had bumps inside his eyelids or on them, and I checked to see if he had any red or pink discoloration on the whites of his eyes, but I could see nothing (of course, Max is stronger than you'd think and puts up quite a fight when I try to do these types of things.)

I talked to Ryan on his lunch break and he convinced me that I should at least call to see if a nurse thought Max should go see a doctor. I ended up calling the wrong number for my doctor (thanks, Google Mobile), but the nurse I talked to at this office told me that if there is ever anything abnormal in the eyes, it is important to see a doctor because the problem usually won't go away on it's own.

So, I called our REAL doctor's office, but he had no openings for the day, so the receptionist set us up to see Dr. Jensen.

When we got in to the office and had been taken to our room, the nurse weighed Max. He now weighs 18.5 pounds!! He's HUGE! I wish they had given me a percentile chart like they usually do... I'd like to know how he compares to everyone else! After the nurse left, someone who was not Dr. Jensen came in to talk to us. I don't remember his name, but he was tagging along with Dr. Jensen that day--I think he was a student. He was really friendly, though. He noticed I had a pump and told me that his wife was a diabetic, too, and was currently pregnant with their third child. We exchanged a couple diabetes/pregnancy-related horror stories before Dr. Jensen came in.

When Dr. Jensen came in, I was asked all the same questions for the fifth time (first the nurse at the wrong office, next the receptionist, then the nurse who weighed Max, followed by the student, and finally ending with Dr. Jensen). He managed to get a better look at Max's eye and did see some pink farther back than I could look what with Max's resistance at home. He said that often times, eye and ear infections go hand-in-hand, so he checked out Max's ears, too. His right ear was just starting to develop an infection. So, Max officially has his first ever eye/ear infection.

The doctor prescribed Max an oral antibiotic--Augmentin ES-600 (amoxicillin/calvulanate suspension 600 mg/5 ml). Max's first ever antibiotic. He's supposed to have 3 ml twice a day for ten days. I asked about allergic reactions I should look for, and the doctor said that most of the time, reactions to this medication will manifest themselves as a rash.

Max started taking the medicine last night before bed (which I was nervous about--sleeping all night is scary when you don't know if your baby is going to have an allergic reaction! So far, he's seemed okay on the medicine. His only side effect so far is mild diarrhea, and that should go away quickly. Other side effect possibilities include diaper rash, nausea, and vomiting, and I haven't noticed any of those in him yet.

Poor little Max had a hard day, but I managed to get him to have some fun with me while Daddy was doing some studying. I stared at him and pulled a face and he started laughing, so I started laughing, and then he laughed more, and I laughed more... It went on for like, five minutes. It was cute and lots of fun!

When we woke up this morning, there were no crusties on Max's eyes. He's been a little fussier today than usual, but I think it's just because of the antibiotic and I'm sure he'll feel better in a day or so.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day! :-)

Home at last after a long day at the doctor's office and waiting at Target for his prescription...


Poor little sweetheart... Watching TV with Mommy after taking his medicine!

The happiness of Tummy Time today in between fussy spells...









Max's medicine!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
I came across your adorable blog and photos...what a cute little guy!

The tummy time photos of him would be a great entry in Pathways Awareness' Holiday Tummy Time Baby Photo Contest.

Three winners each receive a certificate, a $20 Starbucks gift card, and a photo mug with which to display their favorite photo.

For more details and to enter, visit: http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/79944?ogn=facebook

Happy Holidays!