Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ultrasound #003

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well!

The past week has been an adventure for us! The pills I was on for my UTI made me feel sick all week and I think they also caused my many headaches. I took the last one Friday morning and felt sick for the first half of the day and then I was fine!

Ryan took me out on a date Friday night. We went to Rubio's for dinner. I liked it, but Ryan thought we didn't get enough food for our money. Which is probably true--after all, I did actually finish my meal... After dinner we went to Nickel City and played arcade games all night. We decided to buy something for the baby with the tickets we won--a pair of kiddie sunglasses!! After that we went out for coffee (hot cocoa for me :-() and then we went home. We got into bed and I felt the baby kicking. I'd been thinking for days that I could feel him from the outside, but he never would kick when Ryan was around to confirm it for me. So as I felt him kicking that night, I grabbed Ryan's hand and put it on my belly. Sure enough, he could feel it, too!

On Saturday, Ryan's grandparents came up to visit. We went out to dinner with them and then they came to see our house. We don't get to see them very often because they live so far away, so it was nice to see them.

Sunday I started feeling sick to my stomach. It hasn't gone away since and the stomach pain and nausea has been keeping me up and making me toss and turn all night. Ryan wouldn't let me go to work today because I was so miserable this morning. He said if I went, he would come get me and take me to the hospital. So I have been laying around in bed all day.

Sunday night, Ryan decided he wanted to see if the baby would kick him in the face. As soon as he put his face on my belly, the baby stopped kicking. So Ry started talking to him and the baby started kicking again! He kicked Ryan in the face four times that night!

We had our third ultrasound yesterday. Our appointment was at 3:15... We sat in the waiting room until 4:00...

The nurse and doctor didn't spend as much time looking at things as they did last time. We also saw a different doctor yesterday--Dr. Gainer instead of Dr. Schemmer. We didn't mind, though. She was really nice and she didn't push so hard on my belly the way Dr. Schemmer always does.

During the ultrasound, our baby's heartbeat was 185 bpm, which the nurse said is high unless the baby is being very active (and believe me, was he active yesterday--he moved non-stop all day!). He weighed in at a whopping one pound and five ounces! This is a little bigger than he's supposed to be, but not big enough that we need to be concerned. Dr. Gainer actually told us that typically babies born to mothers who have pre-existing diabetes (such as myself) are born underweight and too small whereas the babies of mothers who have gestational diabetes who are born too big. So, where our baby has a higher risk of being a runt, they're pleased to know that he is growing! Dr. Gainer said that so far both she and Dr. Schemmer think that our baby looks very healthy and that he is growing properly.

We also talked to a girl who works at the office on Mondays. She is in charge of finding out how my diabetes is doing. Because I couldn't get an appointment sooner than May 3rd at Dr. Day's office, I figured she'd want to step in and help out in the mean time. So I brought in a couple weeks worth of records for her. My numbers have been running a little high lately, so she looked them over and made a couple adjustments for me. She upped one of my basal rates because I'm going to bed high and waking up high in the mornings. She also changed my insulin to carb ratio at lunchtime from 1:10 to 1:8, because I'm running high in the afternoons as well. And she bumped my supplement level up (how much insulin I take for high blood sugars) to 1:50>120 instead of the 1:75>120. She asked me to come in again next Monday so she could see how that's working and to see what other changes can be made.

Anyway, that's about all there is to say for now. Check out the pictures and our video below and enjoy!













-Aubrey

P.S. This was doctor appointment #12! Next one is (as I mentioned) on Monday next week!

No comments: