Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Past Week - Sorry Again!

I have yet again lagged behind on this blog... My apologies for the thousandth time!!

So on Tuesday last week, we had our first non-stress test at the hospital (doctor appointment #22). For those of you who don't know (I admit I didn't!), a non-stress test involves monitoring the fetal heart rate and calculating the amniotic fluid index with ultrasound. The test takes 30-40 minutes unless the results indicate a need for prolonged testing or a biophysical profile. Anyway, so what happens is you crawl into this high up chair that is really uncomfortable, especially if you have your hair in a pony tail. Then they strap two monitors to your belly--one to monitor the baby's heartbeat, and the other to measure any contractions. Then you sit there for the 30-40 minutes while the computer charts the the results. If everything goes smoothly, you attempt to hoist yourself out of the chair and go home. And I don't know what happens if everything doesn't go smoothly, because everything went smoothly for us. Oh, and the nurse said that our baby was doing some fetal breathing and that that is a good thing.

On Wednesday, we hit Week 32. Here is your belated update!

-------------------------

"This week your baby is tipping the scales at almost 4 pounds and topping out at just about 19 inches. And growing isn't the only thing on the agenda these days. While you're busy getting everything ready for baby's arrival, baby's prepping for that big debut, too. In these last few weeks, it's all about practice, practice, practice, as he or she hones the skills needed to survive outside the womb, from swallowing and breathing to kicking and sucking. And speaking of sucking, your little one has been able to suck his or her thumb for a while now (okay, maybe it's not a survival skill, but it sure is cute). Another change this week: Your baby's skin is no longer see-through. As more and more fat accumulates under the skin, it's finally opaque (just like yours!)."

-text from What to Expect When You're Expecting

-photo from http://www.babycenter.com

-------------------------

Thursday of course was doctor appointment #23--another non-stress test at the hospital. This one went well, too, except for the fact that the baby moved too much and knocked the monitor off balance. The nurse had to come in and turn the ultrasound on to make sure he was doing okay. She said he was doing some more fetal breathing and that he was doing just fine.

On Friday, my step-sister, Taylor, graduated from high school in Layton. Ryan couldn't come to her graduation because he had too much going on at work and we were told about her graduation date a little late, but we are both proud of her! Here is Taylor with her dad and my mom!

On Sunday, Ryan and I were going to finish wallpapering the baby's room. Unfortuately, for the second week in a row, all Babies "R" Us had was one opened roll of the paper we needed. A girl looked it up for us and said that the computer said they had three in stock, though they obviously didn't... So we just ordered some online instead. It should be here tomorrow so hopefully we'll have a chance to get it up soon!

Also on Sunday, I saw our neighbor, Kathy, outside. Her niece was three weeks ahead of us in her pregnancy and was being induced early like us, so I asked Kathy if she'd had the baby yet. She told me that her niece had lost the baby--at her last ultrasound, the heart wasn't beating. Because we have a high risk of still birth, I was devastated to hear the news. I can't even imagine how it would feel to be so close to meeting my baby and to lose it in one horrible moment. Ryan and I are both so excited and love our son so much already. He is our world. As we get closer and closer to the end, I am so afraid of losing our little boy. I'm hoping that everything goes well and that I will be holding him in my arms in the next month or so. I've been nauseous non-stop for over a week now, and everytime the baby moves, it makes me feel even more sick. But I've decided now that it's worth the nausea. As long as the baby is moving, I'm told he is happy and healthy. Regardless, Ryan and I are truly grateful for any thoughts and prayers sent our way as the time draws ever near.

Yesterday was doctor appointment #24--yet another non-stress test. The baby did great again, so we were pleased to hear that.

Anyway, that's been the past week! The baby shower is this Saturday and my sister needs to know who is coming and who isn't, so if you haven't talked to her yet, please do! Or get in touch with me. Also, if you haven't received and invitation and would like to come, please let me know!

Hope everyone is doing well! Check back tomorrow for the 33 Week Update!

-Aubrey

No comments: