Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 19, 2010

Random Update

So, I've been getting phone calls from a registered nurse named Denise from Walgreens lately... After ignoring the third call from her, I finally decided just to call her back and figure out what the heck she wanted.

Turns out my insurance company contacted her because I am a high risk pregnancy and they wanted to have me enrolled in the Walgreens Maternity Support Program. I consented and thus had a 35 minute conversation with the woman about how my pregnancy has gone so far and hearing advice from her. It was interesting. I learned a couple new things, which is why there is this post--I figured I'd share what I've learned with anyone who is interested!

One thing Denise talked to me about was hospitals. I've wanted to have our baby at the American Fork Hospital because that's where I was born and where all my siblings were born. That's the hospital I always thought I'd be at. But, apparently the American Fork Hospital only has a Level 2 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), and because of my diabetes, it would be best for me and the baby to be at a hospital where there is a Level 3 NICU. So, I guess we will be having our baby in Provo at the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.

I also learned that often times, babies of diabetic mothers often have to be put on IV's with glucose in them for a few days after birth to wean them off of sugar. I realize it's necessary, but it's so weird to think of sugar as a drug to be weaned from.

I was told by Denise that perinatologists often have diabetic mothers come in for ultrasounds every two weeks once they reach 28 weeks in their pregnancy and that by 34 weeks, there are typically one or two ultrasounds performed every week. We shall see if my perinatologist does this... At 22 weeks I'm supposed to have a fetal echocardiogram to see how the baby's heart is doing, since babies of diabetic mothers have a high risk of developing heart problems (I already knew about this from my last appointment with the perinatologist).

Denise asked me what my blood type is and I have no idea. She told me that if it is RH- they will make me get some sort of shot at 28 weeks... I'm hoping I'm not RH-...

Finally, I learned that I need to upgrade my prenatal vitamins. The ones I've been taking to not have DHA, and I need to be on some that do have DHA to help the baby's brain and eye development. So, I plan to do that!

For enrolling in the program, I also get a free book. They gave me my choice of What to Expect When You're Expecting or What to Expect the First Year. I chose the First Year since I already have the other one...

Anyhow, that is what I learned! I hope those of you who chose to read this post enjoyed it! My next post will be on Monday when we have the next ultrasound. Cross your fingers for us to be lucky enough to find out the sex of the baby!!

-Aubrey

No comments: